Friday, April 18, 2008

But at night I'm a junk food junkie

Do you remember this song? It's about a guy who's all into the health food hippie thing by day (not that the two are inevitably linked) & eats Twinkies & Big Macs at night. It bears looking up, if you don't remember it. I'm posting this from the BlackBerry & I can't link from it, but when I get a chance I'll put a link on this post.

I am not a total junk food junkie, but I'm reading "The Omnivore's Dilemma" & let me tell you, it will make you really aware of all the things you don't want to know about the food you eat.

Now this is not the first time I've tried to eat more naturally. For awhile I drank raw milk, I've made bread from freshly ground wheat, & I've tried to steer my family toward "free range" chicken, but none of these things stuck. The unpasteurized milk scared my husband & kids, the bread took too much time, & the chicken tasted "too gamey" to Randy. I am disgusted by the whole industrial food process, but I had a hard time convincing Randy to buy local when the cost was so much more than generics at Wal-mart. It was especially hard in the pre-Vanderbilt days when we never knew when the check would be in the bank & bringing high-dollar food to work only made that problem worse. After all, if you can afford boutique food, you can afford to wait an extra day or two to get paid, right?

Anyway, I am trying to figure out some new ways to make whole foods work into a totally complicated schedule that I really don't want to change. I don't know that it's impossible to do this. It might even be less complicated, if I can figure it out. I will blog more about this later.

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: