Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Back to the drive-in

As a family, these are the movies I remember seeing at either a theater or drive-in:

Grease (at the drive-in, on its second release)
Saturday Night Fever (second drive in feature, same night; the "cleaned up" PG version)
Gator (same drive-in, different year)
The Wilderness Family (see the previous post)
Sasquatch!!!
The Sword in the Stone, for my birthday when I was about 4 or 5.
Star Wars - about a year after it first came out. I think I was the last kid in my entire elementary school to see it. And I was in the 5th grade.
The Empire Strikes Back. The weekend it came out. Even though we were on vacation. After Daddy saw the first one, he saw them all.
And, some movie about the shroud of Turin.
Oh, yes. I just barely remember going to see Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid at a drive-in. This movie came out when I was two. It's possible we saw it on a later release, but I know I was very small. Most likely, my parents didn't think I would remember any of it, or they'd have left me with my grandparents.

We had cable TV for a few years when I was a teen. My dad wanted ESPN (so he could watch the same games over & over, which is what ESPN showed back then). In order to get that he had to have the premium tier with MTV. He hated MTV. He called it "hell music." Back then, it was pretty tame. Now, however, his words seem kind of prophetic to me. Daddy quit paying for the cable because they wouldn't give him ESPN without MTV. Then my grandmother moved in with us, & she started paying the cable bill, & we got everything including HBO & Cinemax. By this time, I was a senior in high school. My brother, in 1st grade, got up in the night & went to Granny's living room to watch everything imaginable.

We used to joke about him looking at the TV Guide & saying, "All right, here's a movie with nudity, violence, & language - great! Looks like my kind of movie."

My parents turned a blind eye to this. Baby of the family syndrome? Probably.

Randy's parents took their kids to see every movie they saw, including (but not limited to): Heavy Metal, The Wall, all the Friday the 13th movies, The Towering Inferno, all the Airport movies, & Apocalypse Now.

Did Randy & his sister turn out all right? I guess that depends on who you ask. I think so, but like most people, they've made their share of mistakes. But, like my brother, they could've turned out a lot worse.

No comments: