Monday, April 11, 2011

We were young and strong, we were running against the wind.

This evening I've been writing my sermon. Yes, you read that right. I am taking a Lay Speaking Course, and Saturday, I have to give a sermon to a jury of my peers, I mean, my class of beginning lay speakers. I am not planning to become a pastor. I do not think God's calling me to do that. Maybe to fill in a pulpit here & there, but no, the shepherding instinct is just not there. God's been working on me for a long time. I've felt the call for about 30 years now, but sometimes I ran from it. Sometimes I was just too busy serving myself. Sometimes I didn't trust God to do what I thought was right. At times I wondered if God was even concerned with me at all. Still, He was always taking care of me, always had a plan for me. Right about the time I first felt the call, my pastor at the time, the late Mike Nelson, started a sermon one Sunday with the song, "Against the Wind." He told us we needed to stop running against the wind and let God have us. I thought I was doing that, but I kept trying to take back the control of my future. I had no idea what I was in for!

No comments: