Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Can you feel the love tonight?

You could if you were here. I'm in my apron, drinking real milk, eating chocolate chips I just made with flour I just milled...the domestic earth mama has returned!

Just kidding, sort of???

Actually, after I came home dog tired last night, I did a lot of thinking. While I have no regrets about leaving my previous job for my current one - not by a long, long shot - the change in lifestyle has not been all it promised to be. Yet. I think it's coming. Right now I am still too broke to buy a hybrid with a plug for my mp3 player, or to have Randy bring the kids to Nashville on a weeknight so we can see live music after I get off work. For that matter, I have to get to bed really early on weeknights, because I have to leave the house by 6 am or I'll be late. Too many nights up past 9, & I can barely function by the end of the week. Ten hour days are tough. I get home 12.5 hours after I leave every day.

I've been broadening my horizons by listening to books on CD during the drives. So far I have listened to "
Sisterchicks On the Loose," by Robin Jones Gunn, "The Year the Colored Sisters Came to Town," by Jacqueline Guidry, & now I'm listening to "I Hate to See that Evening Sun Go Down," a collection of short stories by William Gay. "Sisterchicks" is not my usual kind of read, but I enjoyed it. I was a little disappointed to learn that the next Sisterchicks book wasn't about the characters Penny and Sharon because I had really come to love them! My favorite so far is the Jacqueline Guidry book, but I'm enjoying the work of my fellow Tennessean. In one story a character is named "Stayrook," which is an unusual name but the maiden name of the mother of one of my best friends. Mr. Gay lives in Lewis County, & my friend's mom's family lives next door in Perry County. I have other friends in Perry County too, & I recognize some of the towns he mentions.

I am very thankful that Randy helps me a lot. I think he felt sorry for me there for awhile. I was in such a daze there for a few weeks, when Granny died & then Mom had bad test results. But, she is feeling a lot better & I am too. She has returned to work part-time, which is perfect, because it keeps her busy without wearing her out. She may go back to full-time, after she regains some of her strength. But one step at a time.


One step at a time in the changes in our lifestyle, too. For awhile I tried baking my own bread, making my own butter, & all that stuff, back when I was working part-time. There is something really wrong with the world when it is cheaper to buy canned carrots than fresh ones & to buy factory-made soap than homemade. Before I got this job, it was too costly to keep messing up practice loaves of bread. That's sad. Now, I don't have lots & lots of extra time (case in point: I need to go to bed NOW.) but I do still have a day off every week, besides the weekend, & so today, I spent a little time making old fashioned cookies. Yum.

No comments: