Thursday, March 22, 2007

A change will do you good.

And change will do me good too. I have typed this post three times. So, if there are three posts just alike, bear with me until I can fix the problem.

I didn't work today. It was the first day of my mini-vacation. I didn't do much here either. I washed some clothes, & folded some, I called the orthodontist's office, I talked to the insurance man, I walked the dog, I cooked & cleaned up after myself, & I moved some stuff from the living room into the kitchen to prepare for the great floor project coming up this weekend. But mostly, I loafed today.

I have a yearbook on loan from one of my friends. It's the 1975 Bobcat of Greenbrier - whoops, I almost forgot, it's from the years when Greenbrier the town was going through an identity crisis & the name became Green Brier - High School. I was in second grade then. All the kids in the book were the big grownups at the high school. Well, now I have a child in high school myself, & one not too far behind. I don't feel sad about that.

I do feel sad when I realize that I have wasted so much time. I'm almost 40. I can't keep wasting time looking for a career change that I don't really want to make. For a long time I thought I wanted to do something different like reflexology, but I know now that's not for me. I spent hours & hours (& sometimes dollars) searching for schools, for therapies, for treatments, for nutrition information, exercise information & plans, & the like. I got diabetes anyway, probably because I spent so much time on my butt in front of the computer. I don't even remember what got me interested in holistic health. Well, I do sort of...it's been a long process.

I tried getting into side jobs, and that didn't work. Too much busy work & not enough payoff. I have spent far too many hours looking for others' opinions on simplicity & Biblical matters like modesty & how to wear my hair & child rearing. I haven't spent nearly enough time reading God's Word for His thoughts on those matters.

I'm not really taking a sabbatical. I will still do some writing & hopefully even make some improvements to my web pages. I might look up a recipe or two. But this looking to the Internet for answers for everything has to stop. I just don't have the time anymore. I probably never did. Instead I'm going to use my time, however long I have, whether it's 80 more years or 8 more minutes, to be a blessing to other people. I'm sure I'll be blessed - I always have been.

No comments: