Friday, December 08, 2006

Spending Pearl Harbor Day with the Japanese

Well, we ate Japanese food last night. I'm not sure whose idea it was to have the Jostens management Christmas dinner at Hananoki on Pearl Harbor Day, but it was a peaceful gathering. It was not a quiet gathering - that little room full of people & entertaining staff - but it was full of good will toward all.

Today I'm off work. It's been a slow week there anyway, so it's not like the usual "Oh, finally, I'm through the week & I can rest" Friday. I have plenty to do. I'm taking the kids to school early enough for Rachel to get to the student council meeting at 7, then we'll be ready for the doors to open at Derek's school at 7:15, then I'll return home & walk Bonnie (hopefully after the sun comes up it will be a little warmer - it's 12 degrees now) & shower. Then I'm scheduled to donate platelets at the Red Cross & that'll take the rest of the morning. At 2:30 I have to pick up the kids, which takes about 45 minutes.

Why does it take 45 minutes to pick up the kids? At 2:30 there will be at least 20 cars ahead of me in line at the middle school, & I'll have to wait my turn to get to the pick up circle. School dismisses at 2:40. I'll actually get Derek in the car around 2:50. It'll take me 5 minutes to get to the high school (which is right next door, but it takes that long to get around with all the traffic), then I'll have to wait 10 or 15 minutes to get Rachel out the door. I don't know what she does. Derek says she has to hug everybody in the school. I don't know. But from that point, it will still take us 5 or 10 minutes to get out of the parking lot. If we don't go the pig path back home, it will take longer because we have to go through the worst intersection in the mid-state area.

If you were counting, that brings us to approximately 3:20 - a 50-minute trip to the schools. Not unusual at all.

At 6:30 tonight, I have to go to Clarksville to pick up my order from the farm, then I'll finally get to come home around 7. So another busy day lies ahead. It could be a lot worse - I don't have a bunch of places to be at the same time.

My morning blood sugars have been steadily climbing. There for awhile they were right on 120 to 130, not low but not extremely high for morning. Usually that was the highest they'd be all day, with the exception of right after meals. Lately they've been kind of strange. I don't really know why. I had been trying to eat more naturally. I mean, whole wheat breads & pastas, lots of vegetables, some fruits, dairy, eggs and meats from farms where we know the farmers, honey instead of sugar. This week's been a little strange. I had leftover chicken yesterday & I just couldn't eat it. I ended up eating a hamburger on a white bun.

So, today I need to straighten up!

Gotta go.

No comments: