Saturday, March 10, 2012

Only Thou art holy...

I have noticed that most churches have songs or stories they really like. When I was a kid, I went to a church called Bethel. We had lots of songs we sang often, but I do remember the story of how Jacob had a dream and named the place Bethel. My cousins went to a church called Ebenezer. They liked that song with the line, "Here I raise mine Ebenezer." Even now, when I hear the song, "O Little Town of Bethlehem," I think of Bethlehem Baptist out in the country. At Trinity, where Rachel was baptized, they liked "Holy, Holy, Holy," with the line, "God in three persons, blessed Trinity."

I went to Trinity for four or five years. We started there when Rachel was just big enough to ask to go to the church with the orange crackers, before Derek was born, and we left when she was in the first grade. I hated leaving, in a way, but some things about it really got on my nerves. I went there tonight to see Billie and her family. Usually the funeral home has visitation at the funeral home but I guess they're pretty crowded right now. It was nice to go to the church because it was only 5 miles from here compared to the 14 or so to the funeral home.

I chose this song, though, because it is truly a worship song, even though it was traditionally number 1 in the Baptist Hymnal (as opposed to being projected onto a screen), even though it as written a long, long time ago (and not in the 1990's), even though it sounds like a hymn and not a praise chorus. I've always liked it even before our Trinity days. This morning I went to Madisonville to the annual women's conference. I would've gone back for the evening session if I hadn't been planning to go to the visitation. I don't regret going to the visitation instead. That was needed. I told my friend Karen that I wanted one of them to have a prophetic vision or something for me... I wish I could get a little more insight into what God wants me to do. It was good though. I enjoyed it.

No comments: